If any vegetable deserved the title of superfood, this would definitely be Spinach. Having lived in India for some time, I still think Creamy Spinach Curry is up there among the tastiest of all Indian dishes.
But Why Spinach?
- When you combine the recommended daily intake of electrolytes you must supplement on a keto diet, you end up with 7300 mg sodium, 5700 mg potassium and 700 mg magnesium
- It is generally recommended to take a potassium salt and a magnesium supplement To meet these requirements. However, with proper vegetable intake, this is completely unnecessary! And I’m not talking about a ludicrous amount of vegetables either; A bag of spinach per day would basically have you covered.
Keto Fact: 100g of spinach has
- One of the lowest carb counts at 1.4
- Ridiculously high in potassium (558mg)
- Magnesium (79mg)
Time and again when we share Indian food with family and friends their favorite is usually “the spinach one.” You may have heard of it as palak paneer (when served with Indian cheese) or spinach saag – but whatever the name, it’s delicious!
It’s wonderfully rich and creamy but very mild as far as curries go. My version may not be perfectly authentic, but it’s tasty. So here you go.
Creamy Spinach Curry
Cury is western-style sauce flavored with curry powder which has immense health benefits like:- Reducing inflammation, Combating Alzheimer’s disease,Boosting your bones,Aiding digestion,Looking after your heart,Battling bacteria.
- 2 tbsp clarified butter
- 1 shallot/onion (minced)
- 1 small tomato
- 2 small green chilies
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp spoon amla/gooseberry powder
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mustard, green chillies.
- Add shallot, garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until shallots have become translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Now add tomato, wait until it gets soft.
- Then add salt, turmeric.
- Add spinach and put the lid on until spinach is cooked.
- Low the flame, put 2 table spoon of heavy cream and water. Cook, whisking constantly, until the sauce has begun to thicken, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in cheeses until melted, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in spinach until well combined, about 1 minute, now add amla powder and close the burner.
- Serve immediately.
Try Awesome Keto Products on Amazon Here
Spice substitution: If you don’t have coriander (probably the least common of the lot), simply replace the coriander and turmeric with curry powder. Curry powder is a nice substitute since it is typically made of mostly coriander and turmeric with a few other spices.
This dish is mostly spinach! Perfect for getting in iron, magnesium, and folate. A helping of this will also give you lots of vitamins K, A, E, B6, B2, and C. But you already know spinach is amazing, right? So, don’t wait try this amazing creamy spinach curry today.
Check out more amazing recipes here.