Coronavirus is basically a non- living structure when outside a host cell; RNA surrounded by protein cover and this entire structure is surrounded by lipids or fat and protein spikes. In nutshell a concentric ball of outermost lipid+ protein layer and inner ball of protein +RNA. Therefore, outside a host, It is just a combination of chemicals made of protein, lipid and nucleic acid with enzymes. To denature the coronavirus, its protein, and/or lipid are to be destroyed.
How to do deactivate a virus when it is outside a host? Looking into the pure chemistry of virus following are the effective ways with their mode of actions to understand it better-
1. Use alcohol (IPA or Ethanol) to sanitise hands and surface but it should be equal to or more than 70% strength. This strength keeps alcohol to stay on surface for the time required to denature protein structure on viral envelop which is derived from host cell membrane. Less than 50% alcohol is not very useful so whiskey, rum etc. for cleaning of hand is not a good idea to deal with coronavirus situation.
2. Use of soap to wash your hand and detergents for surface cleaning is very effective since surfactants destroys lipid structure in coronavirus envelop.
3. Sanitising floor/ mobile phones/ laptop with BKC/glutaraldehyde based cleaners can help since these act against Lipids and proteins very effectively. Peroxides are also effective since they generate radicals that destroys even nucleic acid of virus so chose according to surface and availability.
Also, from immunology perspective-
My experience from Animal Nutrition area helped to think seriously on mode of infection of viruses and the beneficial effects of probiotics in activating preliminary immune response in the body to fight against viruses.
1. Consuming some curd or butter milk or any probiotic drink will be very effective since microbes in these probiotic drink can act as foreign particles in the body and elicit immune response and keep the body ready to fight any infection including viruses. This is a common practice in poultry industry to help them fight against infections.
2. Consuming vitamin C in any form will help since this is one of the immune enhancing molecule and easily available. Consume moderately every day.
3. Drinking a lot of water i.e. 7 to 8 litres a day (Luke warm better) will definitely help since infectious agents (virus and Bactria) has tough challenges to entre in fully turgid host cells.
Social distancing is a way to minimize close contact with others in the community and include: quarantine and self-isolation at the individual level as well as other community based approaches.
Conspiracy theory of whether COVID 19 (‘Co’rona’vi’rus ‘D’isease 20’19’) is self-evolved or man-made, surely the chemical structure of virus can be destroyed simply using simple chemical reactions. Please take necessary precautions fully and maintain social distance.
Amit Bhattacharya(Animal Nutrition and Microbial Control , DuPont)
Phd(Microbiology) Institute Of Microbial Technology (2003- 2009)
Essential part of being healthy with respect to any type of diet (KETO / Paleo /Low Carb etc. ) is to consume fresh and organic whole foods as much as possible!! One of the best low carb food is tender and fresh spinach which is an excellent ingredient in both hot and cold dishes. Adding some parmesan cheese to make a nice Creamy Parmesan Spinach dish would make up for a complete low carb dish for a date night.
Most of the people face inflammation because they over cook their food. Unhealthy eating can be one of the reason for weight gain.
Dark green leafy vegetables are one of the best friends of people facing issues with their health, check vegetables details here for more information.
A diet high in whole foods and low in preservatives and healthy fats is the essential key to Ketogenic life. They not only help in reducing inflammation but also support proper functioning of muscle and hormonal/bone health. If you inspire to know more about KETO recipes, check here
Health Benefits of spinach
Spinach is among one of the most minerals and vitamin rich veggies.
Has water-soluble vitamins, minerals ,phytonutrients.
Important : Studies have shown that sautéing spinach for 5 minutes is considered better than boiling/microwaving. Spinach retains its total carotenoid content doing that. Quarter of folate contents are lost by cooking , so why to cook it!!
Here is my super tasty and healthy version of Creamy Parmesan Spinach